Nov 26, 2015 4:04 PM

Local vet reminds pet owners to be more aware of dangers around holiday season

CONCORD - The vet is not typically a place you want to spend your holiday but pet owners know that our furry friends love to get themselves into sticky situations.

By 11 a.m. Thanksgiving morning, Dr. Laurie Farrell had seen six pets and anticipated. Although Dr. Farrell works everyday to save animals, she wants to remind pet owner to be more careful around the holidays.

"The holiday season have a lot of toxic potential", says Dr. Farrell. "People are really busy at this time of year, so they're not paying as much attention to their pets, so they are apt to get into more trouble."

Surgery was performed on a cat named Alice because she ate strings off of a turkey and another dog got into mischief while his owner was't paying attention.

"Very busy and quiet," said Pam Manus of Contoocook, speaking about her dog who ate pills that were left out.

She continued to explain that she was prepping Thanksgiving dinner and tending to guests so she didn't notice.

Besides eating turkey strings and pills animals, like humans, have a hard time digesting greasy foods. If they eat it, it can cause extensive digestive problems.

"Turkey grease and basting and stuff, those are very fatty oils" says Dr. Farrell, she continued to explain that the oils in fatty foods can cause pancreatic problems and can make dogs have diarrhea and even vomit.

On a day like Thanksgiving, owners are very grateful that their animals will be okay.

"It's a happy Thanksgiving, we can be grateful for that today" says Manus.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome