Local skiers take extra precautions after boy falls off lift at Ragged Mountain
DANBURY - After an 11-year-old boy fell off of a ski lift Saturday afternoon, skiers at Ragged Mountain were shocked and confused about how it could have happened.
"We snowboard almost every weekend, and we always see people almost fall and then their parents grab them. But we've never seen someone completely fall, so it really makes a big difference," local snowboarder Elizabeth Tansey said.
The resort's General Manager Ryan Schramm told NH1 News the 11-year-old boy was riding the Summit 6-pack, a multi-seat lift, with his father and brother when he fell roughly 25 feet at about halfway up the mountain. It was not immediately clear whether the safety bar was down when the accident happened.
"Things happen so quickly like that, and you know they could easily slide under the bar, and you know you're looking at one child and you look back and your other little boy just fell," Chris Stevens, a father of skiers said. "I'm sure if there was something that his dad could have done differently, he would have done it."
Not yet open to skiers, the boy fell onto the slope called Exhibition, making it difficult for paramedics and ski patrol to reach him.
When ski patrol did arrive, the boy was conscious, talking and breathing normally and had no injuries that were immediately apparent. As a precaution, the boy was taken to Franklin Hospital.
Schramm said Ragged is currently investigating the accident and interviewing people who may have seen whether the safety bar was up or down.