Jun 1, 2015 8:48 PM
Lawyer: Treatment of teen who hit pedestrians unfair
BRENTWOOD - Prior to a suppression hearing for Remi Gross-Santos Monday afternoon, defense attorney Andrew Cotrupi said his client is a good kid who was not drunk or on drugs when he crashed into two women in Hampton last spring.
Gross-Santos is facing charges of second-degree assault, reckless conduct and driving while intoxicated after he hit Karen Weinhold, 69, and Lisa Beaudy, 60, as they were out for their morning walk on June 12, 2014. Gross-Santos was on his way home from partying with friends.
It was 7:15 a.m., and the day before Gross-Santos was set to graduate from Portsmouth High School.
Police found a red water bottle with alcohol and a metal grinder with marijuana in his possession after the crash.
Lab tests revealed Gross-Santos had a blood alcohol level of .017. The legal limit for minors is .02.
The blood test was taken before a search warrant was obtained, Cotrupi said.
"What the state of New Hampshire is trying to do to this young man, I don't think is fair, and we are going to fight it," Cotrupi said.
Cotrupi was in court to ask Judge William Delker to dismiss evidence pertaining to the arrest of Gross-Santos. He also wants comments Gross-Santos made to police, and information taken from his client's cell phone, excluded during the upcoming trial, scheduled to start the week of June 15.
Cotrupi told NH1 News that if the crash had occurred after July 1, 2015, Gross-Santos would be treated as a juvenile, because he was 17-years-old at the time of the incident.
"Because it happened last year, he's an adult for criminal purposes," Cotrupi said. "And there's a desire to put him in the state prison."
Cotrupi said his client fully understands that he caused serious injury to the two women, but should still be treated as the juvenile he was at the time of the crash.
The slight young man was in court with his parents during the hearing.