Jul 17, 2015 12:52 PM

Law enforcement remains mum on deadly police chase in Weare


WEARE - Law enforcement officials remain mum about a high-speed police chase that ended in the death of a 17-year-old two weeks ago.

Police have not released the names of those involved in the deadly crash, nor commented on whether the New Boston police officer who triggered the chase was justified in doing so.

According to the Concord Monitor, the New Boston Police Department’s pursuit policy says that “high risk pursuit” is only justified when the officer knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that “the violator has committed or has attempted to commit a serious felony involving crimes against persons” or “the officer has a reasonable basis to believe that death or serious bodily injury will result if the violator is not apprehended.”

Just after midnight July 3, Officer Stephen Case attempted to stop a 1997 GMC pickup carrying three people because its taillights were out. Case was driving on Route 114 when he saw the truck and attempted to pull it over. The truck did not stop and started speeding away on 114 toward the Weare town line, reaching speeds faster than 85 mph, according to initial police reports and people with knowledge of the accident.

Case reportedly continued the pursuit nearly 2 miles into Weare even though department policy discourages police pursuits from crossing town lines and states officers “will not pursue longer than two miles into another jurisdiction,” unless they are in contact with the police chief or other commanding officer.

The violent crash threw all three young men from the vehicle, killing Trevor Gonyer, 17, of Dunbarton.

Two weeks after the crash, state police have released little information, citing an ongoing investigation, and have refused to identity the three people in the car. Gonyer was identified by friends mourning his death.

State police have referred further questions to the Hillsborough County Attorney’s Office.

Meanwhile, New Boston police Chief James Brace referred questions to state police.

Last week, the Concord Monitor filed a right-to-know request with state police, seeking a limited release of information, specifically the names of the occupants. Police officials denied that request Wednesday, citing the ongoing crash investigation.

Four other fatal vehicle crashes have occurred in New Hampshire in the two weeks since the Weare crash; in all other cases, the drivers of the vehicles and victims were named by state police or county attorneys.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome