Sep 15, 2015 9:34 AM
Landrigan: Deal at hand, but final details still to be worked out in NH budget compromise
CONCORD - Gov. Maggie Hassan and Republican legislative leaders are working out final details of a compromise budget that could avoid a veto showdown the governor is certain to win Wednesday.
Hassan and GOP leaders are not publicly revealing any details at this point because they would need a two-thirds vote to suspend the rules and even take up the proposal.
This means former House Speaker William O’Brien, R-Mont Vernon, and his followers have to come on board with the changes.
GOP lawmakers are having private, small meetings today with conservative activists and lawmakers hoping to win them over.
There are currently no plans for a news conference to announce the deal but to spell out the compromise if the governor and legislative leaders become convinced it’s a plan that could clear the two-thirds hurdle.
NH1 first reported the emerging budget deal Monday afternoon on the twitter account of Chief Political Correspondent Kevin Landrigan.
The secret to the pact has always been to make alterations to the twin business tax cuts that Hassan has declared to be unaffordable and a budget buster for the future.
House Speaker Shawn Jasper, R-Hudson, told NH1 Newsmakers on Sunday that he remains insistent that both tax cuts have to be part of the package. One reduces the corporate profits tax; the other the broadly-based tax on all business activity that hits small businesses much harder.
But GOP leaders have reportedly said they could accept linking the future phases of the business tax cuts the performance of business revenues. Lawmakers supporting the tax cuts remain confident that the cuts will actually lead to more not less tax receipts.
Last week officials from Kansas came to Concord to report that state adopted an even more ambitious business tax cut plan only to lead to a plummeting of state revenues there that forced lawmakers to hike other taxes to fill the gap.