Feb 11, 2016 3:47 PM

Laconia store that sold exploding vapor cigarette is named in lawsuit


LACONIA - A Laconia store that allegedly sold a vapor cigarette that later exploded in a Moultonborough man's pocket has been named in a lawsuit along with the Chinese manufacturer of the device.

McGrath Law Firm said it filed the lawsuit Thursday in Carroll County Superior Court. Matthew Gilson, 26, of Moultonborough, was seriously burned on Jan. 20 when the lithium battery allegedly exploded while it was in Gilson's pocket at work. He says he purchased the item at Smoker’s Haven on Union Avenue.

A statement from the law firm says the battery was apparently manufactured by Shenzhen Kanger Technology Co. Ltd. in China, which is also named in the suit.

“The public needs to be aware about the possible dangers involved with e-cigarettes and vaporizers. This victim would hate to see this happen to someone else,” said Peter McGrath, of the Concord law firm that bears his name.

The lawsuit requests payment for medical bills, treatment, and pain and suffering. McGrath said he has also heard from other victims with similar claims.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome