May 31, 2015 11:02 AM

Korean War POW to be honored after his remains are returned to his family

EXETER - After 65 years, the family of a Korean War veteran will finally get to lay his remains to rest with honors, bringing closure to a loss that has haunted them for decades.

"All I can say is, 'Welcome home brother,'" Edward Richard told the Union Leader.

Cpl. Elmer Richard's remains were recovered from North Korea a few years ago and returned to Hawaii. A DNA test from two of his brothers finally led to a positive identification.

Siblings said they knew their brother had been a prisoner of war in North Korea and that on December of 31, 1950 he was declared dead at the age of only 20. More recently, they learned he'd been seriously wounded while fighting near Chosin Resevoir in North Korea and later died of dysentery and his battle wounds while in captivity.

Richard was raised in Exeter and enlisted in the Army in 1948 at age 18. He and five of his brothers served in the military.

His remains are to arrive in Boston on Monday and will be escorted by police to N.H. where the family is planning a service at the St. Michael Church in Exeter followed by a burial with honors in the Exeter Cemetery.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome