Sep 24, 2014 9:01 PM
Kingston fire destroys family home of generations
KINGSTON - Wednesday was a long day for Firefighters in Kingston. A very stubborn house fire took about 50 firefighters several hours to put out the flames.
The two and a half story Colonial home on Old Coach Road in Kingston gave fire crews quite a fight. Firefighters were dispatched just after noon. Six hours later they were still mopping up hot spots.
Kingston Fire Chief Bill Seaman said, "The building was pretty involved. We started to see some structural failure happening on the rear of the building, and an active propane fire in the rear of the building where the propane caught fire. So we chose to fight the fire externally in order to not risk the firefighters being hurt."
As of late Wednesday there was still no word on what sparked the intense fire that destroyed the home. Three people were inside when the fire broke out, and all made it out safely.
Chief Seaman said, "Two on the first floor, one on the second floor all got out unhurt, and we did manage to rescue one cat."
The Red Cross was called out to help the family. No one in the family wanted to go on camera, they were too upset. But they did tell us the owner, now in her 70s, has lived in the home since she was just 12 years old.