NH1 News Debates


Dec 20, 2014 8:27 AM

Kidnapped Mozambican businessman released

The Associated Press

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) A wealthy Mozambican businessman, who was kidnapped last month, has been released, authorities said on Saturday.

Mohamed Bachir Suleman, who had been accused by the U.S. government of being an international drug trafficker, was freed by his captors on Friday, according Interior Minister Alberto Mondlane.

Mondlane said Suleman was released in the southern Gaza province and had been held in police custody for several days, helping authorities to identify the men who had kidnapped him.

"He and his family are collaborating with the police to explain the exact circumstances that led to his kidnapping," Mondlane said during a live broadcast on Mozambican state television.

Suleman was kidnapped by several men with assault rifles in the parking lot of a shopping mall that he owns in the Mozambican capital, Maputo. Officials said they did not receive any ransom demands from the kidnappers.

Suleman's abduction was the latest in an increasing number of kidnappings targeting wealthy figures in Mozambique. Mondlane said police were working on strategies to prevent further kidnappings.

In 2010, U.S. President Barack Obama put Suleman on a U.S. list of specially designated narcotics traffickers and barred Americans from doing business with him. His various businesses, including a chain of grocery shops, were blacklisted according to the Kingpin Act of 1999.

Suleman, an orphan who had worked as a street vendor and later became one of Mozambique's richest men, has denied involvement in drug trafficking.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome