Aug 11, 2015 3:45 PM
Judge shuts down Veterans Museum of NH effort, says organizer misled vets
The Associated Press
CONCORD — A judge has stopped an effort to build a veterans museum in New Hampshire, saying its organizer circumvented the law in his 6-year effort and appears to have misled veterans into parting with their money and military artifacts.
The order, announced Tuesday, ends the Veterans Museum of New Hampshire. It also orders organizer Henry Pratte of Manchester to pay a $10,000 penalty and $1,000 to a veteran who gave money. Pratte also is barred for 10 years from involvement with any New Hampshire charitable organization.
Earlier this year, a judge granted Attorney General Joseph Foster's request for a temporary injunction and ordered Pratte to detail all funds collected and spent on behalf of the museum since 2009.
The state says Pratte allegedly was seeking donations for years without registering the charity.
A phone number could not be found for Pratte.