Feb 27, 2016 8:28 AM

Improper charger for e-cigarette blamed for staring fire in Rochester apartment

NH1.com

ROCHESTER - Using the wrong charger for an e-cigarette has been blamed for an early morning fire that started in a bedroom at Wellsweep Acres.

According to Fosters Daily Democrat, the resident had been using a cell phone charger for his electronic cigarette when the lithium ion battery exploded and the cigarette fell to the floor, catching the edge of the bedspread on fire.

The resident was able to grab the device and put it in the sink, Deputy Chief Tim Wilder said.

"People tend to think that all USB's are created equal, but they're not," Wilder said. "In this case, the charger was probably sending an amperage that was too high for the e-cigarette. Over time, this caused the battery to be worn down and eventually blow out the weakest part of the battery, which is the ends," Wilder told Fosters.

He said 80 percent of the fires where e-cigarettes have been involved in the past four or five years have stemmed from using an improper charger.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 37°
12pm 38°
1pm 39°
2pm 40°
3pm 41°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 Tuesday, 10:30 a.m. - Hearing on SB 9, a bill to strengthen rape victims’ privacy rights

Tuesday, 2:30 p.m. - Hearing for Gov. Sununu AG nominee Gordon MacDonald

Tuesday, 7 p.m. - Trump gives remarks for Senators and their spouses

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome