NH1 News Debates


Nov 25, 2014 11:28 AM

Hong Kong attempts to clear unruly protest site

The Associated Press

HONG KONG (AP) An attempt by Hong Kong authorities to clear a 2-month-old pro-democracy protest camp in Mong Kok district spiraled into chaos Tuesday as hundreds more protesters flooded the crowded neighborhood, a flashpoint for earlier violent clashes with police and angry mobs.

A total of 80 people were arrested, police said.

Twenty-three were detained for contempt of court or resisting public officers after police warned them not to interfere with workers and bailiffs enforcing a court order to remove obstructions from part of the protest area, one of three sites in the city occupied by activists.

Workers in hard hats and gloves backed by bailiffs and police had spent most of the day clearing barricades, tents and other debris from the 50-meter (160-foot) stretch of Argyle Street covered by the court order, which was granted to a minibus company complaining that its business was hurt.

Pro-democracy lawmaker Leung Kwok-hung was among those taken to waiting police vans. By evening, traffic was flowing again on the street for the first time in two months, but tensions rose as protesters scuffled on surrounding side streets with police, who used pepper spray to force them away from the area. Fifty-seven more people were arrested for unlawful assembly and assaulting or obstructing officers, a police statement said.

The chaotic scenes that continued late into the night underscored the challenge Hong Kong authorities face in trying to shut down the protest site in gritty, working-class Mong Kok. It's home to a more unruly and aggressive crowd compared with the main protest site next to government headquarters, where protesters last week put up little resistance to a separate court order to remove a handful of barricades.

A surprise dawn operation in October to clear the Mong Kok camp backfired by drawing thousands of protesters into the streets later that night to confront police, forcing them to make a humiliating retreat.

The government warned that on Wednesday police would help enforce a second restraining order granted to taxi drivers covering the rest of the Mong Kok site, raising the prospect of further violent clashes.

"Tomorrow will be the main event," said lawmaker Albert Chan of the radical pro-democracy People Power party. "There will be more people joining the resistance."

Protesters have been camped out on major thoroughfares since Sept. 28 demanding greater democracy in the semiautonomous Chinese city. The standoff has continued with no end in sight as neither the government nor the student-led protesters have shown any willingness to compromise.

"I'll continue to fight for true democracy," said housewife Candy Chan, 50, a frequent Mong Kok visitor. "We're fighting because we want the government to come out and respond to our demands."

A small crowd applauded police from the sidelines. Businessman Andrew Tang said the protesters were not realistic in demanding that Hong Kong's government scrap Beijing's requirement that a panel screen candidates in inaugural 2017 elections, adding that they miscalculated by not withdrawing earlier.

"The Communist Party will never surrender," he said as he gave a thumbs-up to the police.

The barricade clearances come at a critical phase for the protest movement, with student leaders running out of options, and public support and the number of demonstrators dwindling.

More than 80 percent of 513 people surveyed last week by Hong Kong University researchers said the protesters should go home. The poll had a margin of error of 4.4 percentage points. A separate survey by the Chinese University of Hong Kong released days earlier found about two-thirds of 1,030 respondents felt the same way.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome