May 17, 2015 10:39 AM
Historic covered bridge nearly ready to reopen
The Associated Press
STARK — A N.H. covered bridge that's part of the National Register of Historic Places is nearly ready to reopen after a year of renovations.
The Caledonian Record reports a dedication ceremony is planned June 27 at the Stark Covered Bridge that spans the Upper Ammoonsuc River and connects Stark Village along Route 110 with Northside Road.
The total cost of rehabilitating the wooden Paddleford truss-style bridge is nearly $1.4 million. The project was awarded a $904,000 federal grant, with the state and town making up the difference.
It's not entirely certain when the bridge was built, as early as 1853 or as late as 1862. It's undergone several renovations.
The bridge will be dedicated in memory of longtime Stark Selectman James Eich, who died in 2013.