The bridge was blocked off earlier this year, before it was removed

Nov 15, 2015 12:01 PM

Heavily used pedestrian bridge taken down in Rochester, will eventually be replaced

ROCHESTER - A pedestrian bridge on Route 125 that was deemed unsafe was removed Saturday, but a replacement won't be ready for another month at least.

According to, the bridge was taken down after the state Department of Transportation declared it structurally unsafe, said Public Works Director John Storer.

The bridge crosses over the Cocheco River on Charles Street, alongside Route 125.

“It is exposed to the elements and so rust sets in. We actually believe the pedestrian bridge was added as an afterthought to the road. With the elementary school on Brock Road and people walking or jogging, the bridge gets quite a bit of use," Storer said.

The new bridge is being built by Contech Bridge Solutions in Tennessee and should be finished before the end of December. Installation, however, will depend on local manpower.

"We are hoping to have it in place by the first week of January. With the school kids and plowing coming, we want it replaced as soon as we can,” he said.

Removing and replacing the bridge will cost the city about $250,000.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome