Feb 26, 2015 7:21 PM
Hampton apartments evacuated after gas leak
HAMPTON - An apartment building on High Street had to be evacuated after a gas line broke, leaking into the building.
Residents said they heard the line break but when fire crews arrived on scene, they were unable to shut the gas off because the break was at the shut-off meter.
Unitil crews shut the gas off around 6:30 p.m. and were still on scene as of 8 p.m. working on the problem.
The road is closed while the problem is being worked on.
Residents all found places to stay with family or friends and it was unknown when they would be able to return to the building.