Sep 27, 2014 12:49 PM
Guinea-Bissau: 20 dead in land mine explosion
The Associated Press
BISSAU, Guinea-Bissau (AP) A doctor says 20 people were killed when a minibus struck a land mine in Guinea-Bissau.
Augusto Blute, a doctor based in the capital who treated several victims, said Saturday the bus was traveling between the towns of Bissora and Encheia in the north of the country when the explosion occurred on Friday.
He said the minibus was completely destroyed, and that the blast was strong enough to render most victims unrecognizable to their relatives.
Local officials say the mine may date to the country's fight for independence from colonial power Portugal.
The country obtained independence in 1974, though it has been roiled by coups and instability since then and no president has ever finished his term in office.
Jose Mario Vaz won a presidential runoff vote last May.