Sep 19, 2014 6:09 AM

Guinea: 8 people killed on Ebola awareness trip

The Associated Press

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) Guinea's government says eight people who were abducted by angry residents while on an Ebola awareness campaign have been found dead.

In a government statement released Friday, authorities said that eight bodies had been found following the violent kidnappings in Womey in rural southern Guinea.

Among the dead are several local journalists and several high-ranking local officials. Only one of the kidnapping victims managed to escape.

Guinea's government said it strongly condemned the killings, and that six people have been arrested.

Many residents of rural villages have reacted with fear and panic when outsiders have come to conduct awareness campaigns and have even attacked health clinics.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome