Feb 9, 2015 3:18 PM
Gilford police officer rescues elderly couple from house fire
From staff and wire reports
GILFORD - Police in Gilford said an officer came to the rescue of an elderly couple whose home caught on fire.
Officer Curtis Mailloux ran into the smoke-filled house Sunday night and got the couple out, carrying one of them to safety.
All three were taken to a hospital to be examined for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters believe the fire started in a wood stove in the living room.
The home suffered "considerable" damage to the living room area and the roof and attic space. Damage is estimated at $150,000.
Fire officials said the family had recently joined the Senior Safety Day program and the department had been to the home in recent months to change the smoke detector batteries.
Crews from Laconia, Belmont and Meredith assisted at the scene. Tilton-Northfiled and Meredith covered the Gilford station.