Real-time N.H. traffic updates
photo from Franklin Fire Dept. Facebook page

Jan 24, 2016 11:21 AM

Franklin home on Nelson Street destroyed by fire, discarded ashes blamed

NH1.com

FRANKLIN - Fire destroyed a home at 42 Nelson Street on Saturday night, but the man who lived there got out safely.

Firefighters say they were able knock down the fire from the outside but ran into trouble when it came to entering the building after finding a live electrical panel that was arcing at the entryway.

Firefighters called the utility company and had to wait until power was cut to the building before they could safely enter.

The fire is believed to have been cause by hot ashes from a wood stove that were discarded outside the building but too close to other material that caught fire.

"It is imperative to those who burn wood, you must always discard ashes at a safe distance away from any and all combustible material," Chief Kevin LaChapelle said.

The fire was called in by a neighbor. The elderly resident of the home is getting help from the Red Cross.

A total of 30 firefighters from neighboring towns responsed to assist Franklin crews in putting out the fire

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 33°
10pm 32°
11pm 30°
12am 29°
1am 28°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome