NECMF
Embed Code Copied

Jan 29, 2016 4:57 PM

Franklin father saves 2 kids from blaze that torched apartment building

NH1.com

FRANKLIN - Several families have been displaced after a fire tore through an Elkins Street apartment building.

The fire brought in mutual aid from several surrounding towns, fire officials said.

One resident said he was in a second floor unit with his fiancee and two young boys when smoke quickly filled the air.

"It was complete black, I couldn't see anything," said John McCormack.

He then wrapped his kids in clothing and blankets and carried them as he crawled down the stairway to safety.

"If I died he was going to be trapped underneath a pocket of air so he would be ok," McCormack said.

Firefighters said the home was built in the 1800s and flames quickly tore through the walls and into the attic.

All residents made it out safely, but the home is a complete loss.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced tenants.

--  Need a new car or even a boat? Click here to check out the all-new NH1 Motors --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

NH1 Dining

NH1 on Facebook

NH1 on Twitter