Michael Weeden

Jul 8, 2015 6:37 PM

Former Dover politician sentenced to jail time for threatening ex-fiancee


DOVER - A former state representative and city councilor from Dover was sentenced Wednesday to 12 months in the House of Corrections, with six months suspended, at Strafford County Superior Court.

Michael Weeden, 24, who served in the House from 2010 to 2012, and as a city councilor from 2011 to 2013, was drunk on cooking sherry when he held a rifle to his former fiancée's head and threatened to kill her in February of 2012.

The couple was fighting about his drinking problem prior to the attack. At the time, Weeden was suicidal, according to a testifying witness.

In court Wednesday afternoon, Weeden's victim told Judge Steven Houran that she still wakes up at night screaming because of the abuse she suffered while with him. In a previous aggravated felonious sexual assault trial, the woman testified that Weeden sodomized her while drunk.

"I am haunted by Michael all of the time," she told the judge. "It's a horrible feeling to fear someone you once loved, and they loved you."

Even though the woman has not had contact with Weeden since 2012, when she helped him run for re-election, she was insistant that he pay for his crime.

"I want him to realize what he did was wrong, and his actions have consequences on people," she said.

The woman also told Houran she wants Weeden to know he "can't always have his Daddy buy his way out of things."

Weeden's father, John, addressed Houran as well, telling the court that his son had the potential of being a President prior to the charges being brought against him.

John Weeden listed things his son is no longer able to do as a convicted felon.

"He can never go out of this country because he is a felon," John Weeden said. "He will never be able to go hunting."

John Weeden begged Houran to take mercy on his son.

"For people who say he needs to pay a price, I am just here to tell you he has paid a price," John Weeden said.

Weeden himself said little during the hearing, but did apologize to his victim, while looking at Houran. He then thanked Houran.

After taking a few moments to collect his thoughts, Houran came back into the courtroom and announced that Weeden would have to serve some jail time for his crime. He reminded Weeden that he could be sentenced to 10 to 20 years in New Hampshire State Prison, before he announced that he would split the recommendations presented by the prosecution and Weeden's attorney, John Durkin.

In addition to jail time, Weeden will have three years probation. While serving time, however, he will be allowed to participate in work release.

As Weeden was being taken from the court in handcuffs, his mother tried to approach him, but was told to step back by a bailiff. His new fiancée, Lindsay Hunt, was not overly emotional as she watched Weeden walk out of the courtroom.

Follow Kimberley Haas on Twitter @KHaasNH1.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome