May 12, 2015 6:15 AM

Former Auschwitz guard again fit for trial in Germany

The Associated Press

BERLIN (AP) The trial of a 93-year-old former Auschwitz death camp guard has resumed after the suspect was deemed fit to face the court following a canceled session last week.

As the trial of Oskar Groening restarted, Lueneburg state court spokeswoman Frauke Albers said Auschwitz survivor Ivor Perl was due to take the stand Tuesday.

One session was cut short last week, and then the following day's proceedings canceled, after the court said Groening was too sick to stand trial.

The former SS sergeant is being tried on 300,000 counts of accessory to murder and faces a possible sentence of three years to 15 years if convicted. Prosecutors argue his role sorting prisoners' stolen valuables, which he admits, helped Auschwitz function.

His trial began in April and is scheduled through July.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome