Aug 27, 2015 7:30 PM

Firefighters rescue, resuscitate 2 cats from burning Manchester home

MANCHESTER - Manchester firefighters tried for almost an hour to save a family's pet.

“No matter if it is a pet or a human, a fire will change your life,” said Robert White who watched firefighters tackle the flames.

The cause of the fire a toaster oven that overheated and malfunctioned. Firefighters told NH1 News it started on the top floor. No one was inside the building except a dog and three cats.

“They wouldn't allow her to go in and get them so apparently they didn’t make it up stairs,” said Melissa Sweeney, a neighbor.

WATCH: Manchester firefighters save cats with CPR

One woman who lives on the first floor was outside in her garden and saw the flames. She immediately wanted to run back in the burning building to rescues her cats.

“Manchester animal control officer was parked over here behind us and they administered CPR. Just trying to do whatever they could and help resuscitate it and took it off to the vet,” said White.

After 40 minutes of trying to revive the dog and cat from the second story both needed to be transported to the Veterinary Emergency Center in Manchester.

PHOTO GALLERY: Amazing photos of officials saving family pets from burning homes

“In that short second of time, everything you work for everything you own is gone,” said White.

The dog from the second story did not survive. One cat escaped any injuries, another cat is stable, and the third cat is still being treated.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome