NH1 News Debates


Dec 24, 2015 11:01 AM

Fire safety tips for the holiday season


With four devastating fires in two days, New Hampshire fire officials are encouraging Granite Staters to take precautions when it comes to fire safety.
With Christmas trees, holiday lights, candles and space heaters, it is important that residents take care to prevent fires.
  • Christmas trees: Christmas trees can rapidly go up in flames if not cared for properly; make sure to place your tree away from heat sources, including fireplaces. ALWAYS make sure that trees have water in their stand- a dry tree increases the chance of fire. A healthy tree has green needles that cannot be pulled off easily.
  • Space heaters: Although this holiday season is one of the warmest on record, it is important to handle space heaters properly. High-wattage electronics, like space heaters, should NOT be plugged into power strips. Overloaded power strips can spark and cause fire.
  • Smoke Detectors: Make sure that your household has functioning smoke detectors by checking monthly. In addition to smoke detectors, make sure there is at least one working fire extinguisher in the house.
  • Candles: Never put a candle on or near a holiday tree. With bustling households, it is important to know where candles are lit and to keep an eye on them. When you leave the room, put them out - don't let them go out on their own.
  • Holiday lights: With holiday lights on trees and around the house, make sure to unplug them before leaving or going to sleep.

and finally

  • Have a family plan: Fire officials are stressing the importance of a family plan. Make sure your family follows the safety rules above -- and make sure children know where to go and what to do in case of a fire.

Have a safe and happy holiday!


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome