Real-time N.H. traffic updates

Jan 25, 2016 11:32 AM

Fire officials say discarded cigarette caused Newington blaze over weekend

The Associated Press

NEWINGTON (AP) — Fire officials have determined that a discarded cigarette was the cause of a weekend porch fire that hospitalized a resident with burns in southeastern New Hampshire.

Foster's Daily Democrat reports firefighters responded to the blaze at a home on Little Bay Road in Newington around 5:49 p.m. Saturday.

Assistant Fire Chief Jeffrey LeDuc says a lit cigarette ignited a piece of furniture on the porch of the home and flames began to spread.

LeDuc says a tenant suffered burns on his hands and feet after attempting to put out the fire with an extinguisher. He was taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for treatment.

Crews from Portsmouth, Pease, Greenland, Dover and Durham helped Newington firefighters extinguish the blaze in less than an hour.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 15°
7am 13°
8am 15°
9am 18°
10am 20°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

Wednesday March 22, 2017

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome