Fire destorys hi-vu motor inn, faulty stove to blame
A two-story building at Hi-Vu Motor Inn in Rochester was destroyed by a fast-moving fire Tuesday afternoon and a couple who lost everything said a faulty stove is to blame.
Andrea Bush was cooking french fries for her fiance Michael LaFerriere just before the blaze began. She turned the stove off and went outside to get him. In a matter of minutes the whole building had caught fire.
Bush and LaFerriere said other residents have had similar problems with their stoves staying hot after being turned off.
"It was off," LaFerriere said. "No light was on. She turns around not five minutes later and the whole building was up."
A man who identified himself as the Motor Inn's property manager at the scene said he has not received any complaints about sticking stoves.