Jul 4, 2016 9:39 AM

Fire consumes duplex, displaces all 4 residents in Derry

NH1.com

DERRY — A duplex in Derry was destroyed after a fire claimed around 80 percent of the home early Friday morning, displacing the four people who lived there.

Firefighters received word of the blaze at about 2:31 a.m. and reported having the flames under control by 3:46 a.m. The fire took place at 70 Derryfield Rd.

All four residents made it out of the home without injury, but firefighters entered the inferno to conduct a search and rescue of two cats that were still inside. One of the cats was recovered and it is believed the second cat may have made it out safely on its own, Derry firefighters said.

No firefighters were reported injured while distinguishing the fire or searching for the cats.

A preliminary investigation by the Derry Fire Department found that the fire appeared to have started in an unattended portable fire pit that extended into the deck and then the home.

The damage was so bad firefighters deemed the home a “total loss.”

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 37°
8pm 37°
9pm 38°
10pm 38°
11pm 37°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 Tuesday, 7 p.m. - Trump gives remarks for Senators and their spouses

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome