NH1 News Debates


Nov 25, 2014 8:01 PM

Ferguson protesters rally across US for second day

The Associated Press

People protesting the Ferguson, Missouri, grand jury decision took to the streets in cities across the U.S. for a second day Tuesday, showing that the racially charged case has inflamed tensions even hundreds of miles from the predominantly black St. Louis suburb.

Peaceful demonstrators marched in Seattle and disrupted traffic in St. Louis and Cleveland. Rallies also formed in New Jersey, Maine, Maryland and elsewhere.

For many, the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by Officer Darren Wilson recalled other troubling encounters with law enforcement. The refrain "hands up, don't shoot" became a rallying cry over police killings nationwide.

A look at some of Tuesday's demonstrations:


Protesters disrupted downtown traffic for several hours by blocking major intersections, an interstate highway and a Mississippi River bridge connecting the city to Illinois.

Riot police arrested several demonstrators who sat in the middle of Interstate 44 near the Edward Jones Dome. They used pepper spray to disperse the crowd.

Demonstrators also swarmed the steps of the federal courthouse, overturning barricades while chanting, "You didn't indict. We shall fight."


Hundreds of Seattle high school students walked out of classes and rallied at the University of Washington or marched to the downtown federal courthouse.

The protest came a day after demonstrators threw canned food, bottles and rocks, and police responded with pepper spray and flash-bang grenades. Five people were arrested.


A rally in Minneapolis turned scary when a car hit and then drove through several protesters.

Several hundred people gathered Tuesday afternoon near the 3rd Precinct police outpost to show solidarity with Brown. Helicopter footage from KSTP-TV showed the car pushing through protesters and driving over at least one. A woman suffered minor injuries.


Police braced for more demonstrations in Oakland, where cleanup continued after scores of people hurled bottles, broke windows, set small fires and vandalized a police car Monday night.

Forty-three people were arrested in the melee that escalated after some protesters shut down traffic on a major highway, police Chief Sean Whent said Tuesday.

He said three officers were injured, including one who suffered a cut to the head and a minor concussion after being hit by a brick.

"We will not tolerate assaults on our staff or vandalism and destruction," he said.


Several hundred people marched down a freeway exit ramp to block rush-hour traffic while protesting the Missouri developments and Saturday's fatal shooting by an officer of 12-year-old Tamir Rice of Cleveland, who had a pellet gun that looked like a real firearm.

"The system wasn't made to protect us," said one of the protesters, 17-year-old Naesha Pierce, who stayed up until 3 a.m. watching television coverage from Ferguson. "To get justice, the people themselves have to be justice."


In New York, police noted protests have been large but mostly peaceful, with just two arrests, including that of a man who threw a jar of fake blood that struck Police Commissioner William Bratton.

Several hundred protesters also marched peacefully through nearby Newark, New Jersey, on Tuesday.

After a night of rallies in Chicago, dozens of protesters upset with the grand jury's decision camped out at the doors of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office and planned to remain through the night.


Associated Press writers Ann Sanner and Kantele Franko in Columbus, Ohio; Jeff Baenen in Minneapolis; Olga R. Rodriguez in San Francisco; Deepti Hajela in New York; and Joshua Lederman in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome