Jul 25, 2015 12:20 PM
Family of drunken driving victim asks court to permanently revoke driver's license
NASHUA — The family of a Nashua man killed by a drunken driver is asking a judge to revoke her driving privileges permanently.
According to the Union Leader, relatives of Robert Derome, killed in a hit-and-run accident in 2014, submitted an emotional impact statement in Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua last week regarding a plea deal for Cara Smith, who was sentenced to 3-6 years for negligent homicide in Derome's death.
Smith had told police she had five alcoholic drinks while out to dinner before the fatal accident, according to court documents. Driving home after, she said she “felt a thump or something hitting her vehicle,” but thought someone had perhaps thrown something at her car, police said.
Derome, 64, was discovered injured on the side of the road near a snow bank after the crash and pronounced dead a short time later.
Following the accident, Smith filed a false insurance claim stating that her car had been damaged while she was parked and doing some shopping.
In addition to the negligent homicide, Smith, 39, of 6 Satin Ave., also pleaded guilty to conduct after an accident and insurance fraud, but received suspended sentences on those charges.
But the Derome family told the court that's not enough. “She has not shown remorse for what she has done, and we honestly don’t feel that she realizes or cares about what she has done to our family,” wrote Arthur Derome, the victim’s brother. “We hope that she will not be able to get her driver’s license privileges back.”
“This was not her first driving under the influence (offense), and we feel that if she is allowed to get her license again, it will not be her last either,” the letter stated.