Oct 5, 2015 5:46 PM

Explosion of electronic vaporizer in teen's face highlights dangers when used improperly


MANCHESTER - With vaporizers becoming more and more popular, they are also posing more of a threat.

A 17-year-old girl from Brookline was recently sent to the ER with severe burns to her face, hand and body when her vaporizer exploded while being used.

Mike Johnson, the owner of Manchester vape shop Holy Smokes, said underage kids are going to get vaporizers no matter their age.

"Just like buying beers when you're a kid in high school, same concept," said Johnson.

Johnson said that faulty equipment and not understanding how to use the vapes are when the dangerous situations become possible.

"Sometimes right before the battery explodes it'll start smoking and some acid will leak out of them," vaporizer user Ryan Letellier said. "They've put holes in the ground, I've seen them put holes in the ground."

As for the 17-year-old and her mother, the two are still recovering and are considering legal action.

As the owner of a smoke shop, Johnson advises anyone who smokes vaporizers to know where the product is from and to replace the batteries.

"Cheap batteries will (definitely) do that to you," Johnson said. "Medical bills are a lot more expensive than a $15 battery."


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome