Real-time N.H. traffic updates

Jan 26, 2016 11:26 AM

Exploding e-cigarette battery severely burns Tilton man after blowing up in his pocket

The Associated Press

TILTON (AP) — A 26-year-old New Hampshire man suffered severe burns on his legs and hands after the battery of an electric cigarette suddenly exploded in his pocket.

WMUR-TV reports Matthew Gilson underwent his second surgery Monday to treat the second- and third-degree burns he received after the battery of his e-cigarette combusted while he was at work in Tilton.

The Moultonborough resident has received multiple skin grafts and his recovery is expected to take months.

Gilson's mother, Laura McCrea, says her son purchased the e-cigarette at a smoke shop in the Lakes region. He bought the device as an alternative to smoking cigarettes.

McCrea says an employee at the smoke shop assembled the vaporizer for him.

The China-based company that manufactures the battery couldn't be reached for comment.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 16°
3am 12°
4am 11°
5am 10°
6am 10°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

Wednesday March 22, 2017

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome