Real-time N.H. traffic updates
file photo

Mar 29, 2016 5:17 PM

E-cigarette explodes in downtown restaurant in Keene; only minor injuries

NH1.com

KEENE - An e-cigarette that exploded in a downtown restaurant on Easter Sunday left holes and black marks on the walls and caused some minor injuries.

"We thought a bomb went off ... that's how loud it was," Timoleon's Restaurant owner Timoleon "Lindy" Chakalos told the Keene Sentinel.

Chakalos said the e-cigarette was put on a table by a customer sitting in a booth. When it exploded, that person was burned on the hands and face while another customer got burns on his shirt and pants, he said.

Chakalos said he had to open the doors to get rid of the smoke and heat from the explosion.

Since 2008, there have been 22 reported e-cigarette explosions, according to a February report from CNN and several people seriously injured.

In particular, people are warned not to carry e-cigarettes in their pockets because coins can short-circuit the lithium-ion battery by rubbing against it.

--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

--

»Comments

Concord, NH
Broken Clouds 31°
2pm 32°
3pm 33°
4pm 35°
5pm 38°

 

N.H. DollarSaver

 

Friday, 1:30 p.m. - White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer

Friday, TBD - Health care vote on the House floor

 

 

NH1 on Facebook

Download NH1 App

NH1 on Twitter

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome