Oct 20, 2016 5:12 PM
DOVER – Police are investigating what they believe to be the city’s eleventh overdose this year.
Police responded to a home on Whittier St. around 12:15 a.m. Tuesday. A 38-year-old woman was found unresponsive and was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
City officials launched the Community Access to Recovery program in July, which designates police and fire stations as a place for people to go if they are seeking help with an addiction.
Since the program launched in July, four people have taken advantage.
Police Lt. Brant Dolleman said people don’t need to fear getting into trouble, they’re there to help.
“We’re not going to handcuff them, we’re not going to put them in the back of a police car, we’ll simply take them up to the hospital and try to get them the help they need,” Dolleman said.
Under the program, anyone seeking help will be connected with a volunteer recovery coach who can help guide them through the process of getting into long term recovery. A similar program that started in Manchester has seen success.
“It’s inspiring to see people in the community stepping forward to try to help people with these issues,” Dolleman said.
The program is officially in operation Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., because that’s when coaches are scheduled, but Dolleman said outside of those hours the department is willing to help.
6 hours 10 minutes agoDemocratic Gov. Maggie Hassan says that when it comes to her Republican successor’s priorities, she’s confident Granite Staters will let him “know what their...
10 hours 3 minutes agoFormer State Representative Kyle Tasker's bail has been revoked. (More)
10 hours 20 minutes agoThe coldest air in months is moving into the Granite State, and a winter storm will follow Sunday night into Monday. (More)
12 hours 6 minutes agoThe two men that broke into a Keene home and beat the residents with a hammer and a crowbar on Wednesday have been arrested....
Dec 8, 2016 5:23 PMJeanie Forrester says she “was honored” when Governor-elect Chris Sununu called her and asked the former state senator to consider running for New Hampshire...
Dec 8, 2016 4:42 PMAn apartment fire that displaced 18 residents was caused by a dryer, firefighters said. (More)