Documents: Site of fatal 4-alarm apartment complex fire in Manchester was up to code
MANCHESTER - The apartment complex that was the scene of a deadly 4-alarm fire was up to code, according to city documents.
The building at the corner of Wilson and Harvard streets housed seven residential and two ground-level commercial units and was in compliance with building code.
Two children and two adults were killed early Monday in the fire. Firefighters say they were all living in the same apartment unit.
Buildings in Manchester are inspected once every three years.
198 Wilson St. was most recently inspected in November and was written up for 44 code violations, including missing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. However, all violations were corrected when the inspector returned in mid-December.
The certificate of compliance issued at that time was revoked this morning when news of the fire reached city hall.
In total, firefighters say they rescued 30 people from the building. Fire Chief Daniel Goonan says none of the seven apartment units that were occupied are livable now, due to either fire or water damage.