Discarded fireworks cause New England house fire
SCARBOROUGH, Maine (AP) — Fire officials in Maine say improperly discarded fireworks caused a house fire.
The Portland Press Herald reports the house fire started early Wednesday morning after a neighborhood firework show in Scarborough. Fire Chief Michael Thurlow say a bin containing firework remnants stored in a plastic bag caught fire next to a home.
Fire crews responded to the fire around 2:30 a.m. and were able to contain the blaze.
No injuries were reported.
Thurlow says many manufacturers recommend consumers soak fireworks in water before disposing of them.
A similar incident happened in Laconia on Tuesday after fireworks were disposed of in a trash barrel.