May 25, 2016 4:22 PM
DERRY — There is a renewed warning from firefighters about the dangers of smoking near at-home oxygen tanks after a Derry man died from injuries sustained in a fire.
John Foley, 79, died in a Boston Hospital Sunday from serious burns he received during a fire at his Island Pond Road home Friday afternoon.
Crews arrived on scene within minutes of the 911 call, but Foley's daughter-in-law had already put the fire out.
Captain Bill Gillis said this isn't the first incident like this in recent years.
"In the past two years, we've had three people seriously injured with smoking materials and oxygen, two of them were fatalities," Gillis said.
According to Foley's obituary, among the family he leaves behind is ten grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial contributions be made to For the Love of Dogs Rescue, www.4theloveofdog.org.
State Fire Marshal William Degnan said, “There is no safe way to smoke when using home oxygen”. The use smoking materials or other sources of ignition such as candles and matches in the presence of medical oxygen is extremely dangerous to all occupants. Be mindful that people that are on medical oxygen may have difficulty escaping a fire and make sure that working smoke detectors are present throughout the home.
3 hours 28 minutes agoAutopsy results of the 16-year-old boy who was swept down a storm drain during heavy rain on Friday night are expected Monday. (More)
6 hours 36 minutes agoHillary Clinton’s taking her show outdoors. The Democratic presidential nominee’s rally Monday afternoon at St. Anselm College will now be held outside, in the...
15 hours 57 minutes agoThe community of Nashua is mourning as they learn the body pulled from the Merrimack River in Tyngsborough is believed to be 16-year-old Jacob...
23 hours 14 minutes agoPolice and fire departments recovered the body of a young man from the Merrimack River this afternoon. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 9:05 PMPolice are investigating the possibility that a missing teen was swept into a storm drain in the night during heavy rain. (More)