Derry man dies from injuries following fire caused by smoking on oxygen
DERRY — There is a renewed warning from firefighters about the dangers of smoking near at-home oxygen tanks after a Derry man died from injuries sustained in a fire.
John Foley, 79, died in a Boston Hospital Sunday from serious burns he received during a fire at his Island Pond Road home Friday afternoon.
Crews arrived on scene within minutes of the 911 call, but Foley's daughter-in-law had already put the fire out.
Captain Bill Gillis said this isn't the first incident like this in recent years.
"In the past two years, we've had three people seriously injured with smoking materials and oxygen, two of them were fatalities," Gillis said.
According to Foley's obituary, among the family he leaves behind is ten grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial contributions be made to For the Love of Dogs Rescue, www.4theloveofdog.org.
State Fire Marshal William Degnan said, “There is no safe way to smoke when using home oxygen”. The use smoking materials or other sources of ignition such as candles and matches in the presence of medical oxygen is extremely dangerous to all occupants. Be mindful that people that are on medical oxygen may have difficulty escaping a fire and make sure that working smoke detectors are present throughout the home.