Courtesy: Derry Fire Department

Jun 14, 2015 5:29 PM

Derry fire damages home, blamed on smoking materials

DERRY - A fire in a room over the garage at 49 Pingree Hill Road caused damage estimated around $50,000, but no one was injured early Sunday morning.

Firefighters say they received a call from a resident who woke up to the smell of smoke and found the room on fire. On arrival crews reported smoke showing from the second floor windows of the attached garage.

The cause was determined to be careless disposal of smoking materials, firefighters say. The occupants of the home were allowed to return to the home after the fire was extinguished.

Firefighters are asking smokers to make sure they've extinguished cigarettes completely before disposing of them and to keep working smoke detectors.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome