Deputy state fire marshal releases safety tips for CO Awareness Month
Gov. Maggie Hassan has declared November to be Carbon Monoxide Awareness month.
Fire departments reported responding to 680 New Hampshire households, and state hospitals reported treating 53 patients due to CO this past year.
The gas is produced whenever fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal are burned, making the colder months of the year a period of increased risk for CO poisoning, which claims the lives hundreds of people each year nationwide.
Improperly vented heating or burning systems such as space heaters can be risk factors.
The deputy state fire marshal released a list of tips to stay safe.
Techniques to reduce the risk of CO poisoning in your home when using fuel-burning devices include:
Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
Install CO alarm(s) with battery backup outside of sleeping areas.
Test your CO alarm(s) frequently and replace dead batteries.
Do not use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
Do not use any gasoline-powered engines, such as portable generators, in enclosed spaces, including your garage and locate them at least 10 feet from your house with the exhaust facing away from the building.
Do not idle your vehicle inside a garage.
Do not sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.