Nov 3, 2015 2:16 PM
Department of Education, Gov. Hassan propose Top 5 steps schools to take to prevent substance abuse
CONCORD – In an effort to tackle the heroin crisis in the state, the Prevention Taskforce of the Governor’s Commission of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention, Treatment and Recovery has released a report, The Top 5 Actions Schools Can Take To Help Prevent and Reduce Youth Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Use.
The report, released in collaboration with the NH Department of Education, is the result of lengthy practices in federal, state and local practices and is aimed at teaching students the detrimental effects of substance abuse.
The report focuses on prevention education as a number one priority of schools.
The Top 5 steps are:
• Talk about the issue clearly and consistently
• Provide formal, effective prevention curricula early and often
• Gather information about substance use perceptions and behaviors regularly
• Provide early identification referral, and support services
• Implement an effective alcohol, tobacco and other drug policy
For a look at the complete report, visit the NH Student Wellness website.