Jul 10, 2015 2:08 PM
DEA: Test results pending for possible NH krokodil overdose
MANCHESTER - DEA agents and the Manchester Public Health director said it’s unlikely the man sent to a Manchester hospital with open wounds, was suffering from an overdose of the flesh-eating drug krokodil.
After being revived last week, the man told American Medical Response shift commander Chris Hickey he had been using the drug krokodil, a deadly, rare drug also known as desomorphine that killed more than 100,000 people in Russia and Ukraine.
Test results for that man are pending, DEA Agent Tim Desmond told NH1 News Friday.
Initial analysis of the man’s conditions lead experts to believe he is likely recovering from a staph or strep infection, said Manchester Public Health Director Tim Soucy.
Infected open sores occur with drug addicts whom often inject in the same areas regularly.
The only confirmed case of krokodil by the DEA was documented in Chicago in 2004, said Desmond.
A possible case in Arizona in 2013 tested negative for desomorpine, he said.
However, there are conflicting reports.
The test results for the Manchester man will not be released per HIPAA requirements.
If the results are positive, the DEA would be notified and Desmond said there would likely be notice to the public that krokodil is in the area.