NH1 Motors Block
File photo - geiselmed.dartmouth.edu

Oct 4, 2016 8:52 AM

Dartmouth dorm to stay closed after hibachi grill blaze

The Associated Press

HANOVER (AP) — Officials at Dartmouth College say a dormitory set ablaze by a hibachi-style grill left unattended will stay closed through at least the fall.

Valley News reports that officials said Monday they're still determining the extent and cost of the damage at Morton Hall. President Phil Hanlon says the building is "no longer habitable."

Investigators say the flames were sparked by a charcoal grill left unattended at the time of the fire on Saturday. Officials said all of the dorm's 300 residents escaped without injuries; but about 70 were displaced. Those students were relocated.

Records show that replacing the entire building will cost about $4.2 million.

The school's website says charcoal grills are among items not allowed in student dorm rooms. It's unclear whether the students responsible will be disciplined.

--  Need a new car or even a boat? Click here to check out the all-new NH1 Motors --

--

»Comments

Must Read on NH1.com

Car Quiz NH1 Motors
NH1 NH Community Calendar and Event

NH1 Motors Featured Dealers

Grappone Automotive Group

Goodhue and Hawkins

Team Kia

 Tuesday, 10 a.m. - Former CIA Director John Brennan will testify before the House Intelligence Committee

 

NH1 on Facebook

NH1 on Twitter