Dairy truck destroyed, hazmat team called in after tractor-trailer fire in Derry
DERRY — A Garelick Farms refrigerator box truck caught fire and its tractor was engulfed in flames at about noon Tuesday.
The driver said he saw the fire in the refrigerator unit of the truck, failed to put it out with a fire extinguisher and called the police.
The truck was parked in the loading dock, which exposed the building to fire and smoke. 30 Manchester Road was evacuated as a result of the incident.
The fire extended to the trailer. Once the fire was put out, crews discovered that intense heat had melted the top off of a fuel tank.
A hazmat team was dispatched to deal with possible fuel leaks, but none were discovered. No one was injured, but the tractor was destroyed, and the trailer was badly damaged. All the dairy products inside were condemned. The building was deemed safe and all businesses reopened.