Nov 1, 2014 7:38 AM

Cruise ship stuck off Norway, no damage

The Associated Press

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) A Bahamas-registered cruise liner that ran aground in northern Norway a few months ago did it again on Saturday, in sight of the pier where it was to be moored.

The Norwegian rescue services say passengers had been allowed to leave the "Marco Polo" cruise ship, which was carrying more than a thousand people when it ran aground in the Lofoten archipelago early Saturday.

Rescues services said they were hoping to pull the 176-meter (580-foot) "Marco Polo" free at high tide late Saturday. Tugboats and a coast guard vessel had tried in vain to free the vessel by pushing it from the starboard side.

Rescue officials say there were no injuries, and no damage to the ship has been found.

"Marco Polo" was chartered by Britain-based Cruise & Maritime Voyages and was cruising along Norway's fjords when it ran aground. Passengers were chiefly from Britain, the rescue service said while the crew was international, according to the CMV Website. The passengers who had left the cruise ship took part in a planned sightseeing on land.

Resident Karl Roger Johnsen told Norwegian broadcaster NRK he thought the ship took a chance by sailing close to the rocky coast on its way into the quay.

The same liner also ran aground briefly in a nearby archipelago in March, according to Norwegian media. The cause of that incident remained unclear.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome