Crews prepare for possible contamination as rubble removed from Portsmouth bar fire site
Written by NH1 News on .
PORTSMOUTH — Rubble left behind from the massive fire in Portsmouth which burned State Street Saloon to the ground last month is finally being removed this week.
Despite the heat, workers at the scene are in full protective gear just in case there is asbestos or other contaminents in the debris. Jason LaBranche who is coordinating with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services to make sure the project is safe said they have found no signs of unsafe fiber concentrations.
LaBranche said crews are expected to bring the rubble to Minerva Enterprises in Ohio for disposal. It is cheaper to dump the potentially contaminated materials there.
The April 10 fire destroyed the saloon and 14 apartment units. The saloon's owner hopes to reopen somewhere else downtown.