May 1, 2017 10:28 PM
Couple accused of kidnapping son appear in court, aunt facing charges released
LOWELL, Mass. — Three people charged in connection with a Manchester kidnapping that triggered an Amber Alert last week were in court Monday.
Erika Wallace and Joshua Wallace, who allegedly kidnapped their 2-year-old son during a supervised visit Friday in Manchester, were denied bail and returned to jail following their hearing, according to WMUR.
Joshua Wallace's public defender said he had no idea that his wife allegedly walked away with their son during the supervised visit at the Mall of New Hampshire, and allegedly called her stupid and said they should bring the boy back.
Middlesex County District Attorney Megan McGovern told the court that Erika Wallace said she took the boy because she was tired of the DCYF process and felt she was missing out on important events in her child's life.
Prosecutors said Erika and Joshua Wallace have outstanding warrants from the fall when they were arrested on drug charges and accused of having drugs near their son. They have since enrolled in recovery programs.
According to court officials, the couple won't be extradited to New Hampshire until the open warrants in Massachusetts are cleared, and they are scheduled to return to court May 24.
The boy is in currently the care of a foster family.