Jan 5, 2015 6:25 PM
As frigid temperatures move into New Hampshire, there are some important safety tips to pay attention to in order to ensure you and your family stays safe during these cold conditions.
The following tips are from the American Red Cross:
1. Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm.
2. Bring pets indoors, or provide shelter with unfrozen water outside.
3. Protect your pipes - run water, even at a trickle, to prevent freezing. Open cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around plumbing.
4. Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night to prevent pipes from freezing.
5. If using a space heater, ensure it stays level and is at least 3 ft. away from anything flammable.
6. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out when heading to bed.
7. Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
8. If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen to catch sparks and rolling logs.
9. Use generators safely - never inside a home, basement or garage.
10. Don't hook a generator up to the home's wiring. Connect appliances directly to outlets on the generator.
3 hours 27 minutes agoAutopsy results of the 16-year-old boy who was swept down a storm drain during heavy rain on Friday night are expected Monday. (More)
6 hours 35 minutes agoHillary Clinton’s taking her show outdoors. The Democratic presidential nominee’s rally Monday afternoon at St. Anselm College will now be held outside, in the...
15 hours 56 minutes agoThe community of Nashua is mourning as they learn the body pulled from the Merrimack River in Tyngsborough is believed to be 16-year-old Jacob...
23 hours 13 minutes agoPolice and fire departments recovered the body of a young man from the Merrimack River this afternoon. (More)
Oct 22, 2016 9:05 PMPolice are investigating the possibility that a missing teen was swept into a storm drain in the night during heavy rain. (More)