Cold weather checklist from the American Red Cross
As frigid temperatures move into New Hampshire, there are some important safety tips to pay attention to in order to ensure you and your family stays safe during these cold conditions.
The following tips are from the American Red Cross:
1. Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm.
2. Bring pets indoors, or provide shelter with unfrozen water outside.
3. Protect your pipes - run water, even at a trickle, to prevent freezing. Open cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around plumbing.
4. Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night to prevent pipes from freezing.
5. If using a space heater, ensure it stays level and is at least 3 ft. away from anything flammable.
6. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out when heading to bed.
7. Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
8. If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen to catch sparks and rolling logs.
9. Use generators safely - never inside a home, basement or garage.
10. Don't hook a generator up to the home's wiring. Connect appliances directly to outlets on the generator.