NH1 News Debates


from Facebook

Mar 15, 2016 5:29 PM

Classmates hold fundraiser for Somersworth teen injured by apparent exploding e-cigarette


SOMERSWORTH - A teenager injured by what appears to have been an exploding e-cigarette was the beneficiary of a fundraiser held at his school, the Tri-City Christian Academy on Saturday.

Austin Elliott, 18 and a senior at the school, was seriously injured in the explosion that set fire to his home at 4 Grant St. on Jan. 19. Elliott was reportedly using a vaporizer-style cigarette, and it appears the battery overheated and blew up.

According to Fosters Daily Democrat, the school hosted a benefit dance organized by Austin Elliott's grandmother, Victoria Parks. The dance, a raffle and food sales raised $1,705.

After the explosion, he spent a week at Massachusetts General Hospital and still requires thousands of dollars in additional care, according to his family. He and his family also lost most of their possessions in the fire.

Anyone interested in helping the family can mail checks payable to Victoria Parks to 21 Johnson Ave., Hampton, NH 03842.

Related Stories


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome