Sep 18, 2014 9:56 AM
Chile arrests 3 suspects in subway bomb attack
The Associated Press
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) Chilean officials said Thursday they have arrested three suspects in the country's worst bomb attack in more than two decades.
Interior and Security Minister Rodrigo Penailillo confirmed the arrests of two men and a women. One of them is suspected of carrying out Sept. 8 bomb attack at a shopping area connected to a Santiago subway station that injured 14 people, while the other two are suspected of acting as accomplices.
Their identities have not been released, but Attorney General Sabas Chahuan said the suspects are part of an "anarchist cell."
They are also suspected of being involved in a bomb planted at another subway station in Santiago on July 12, causing material damage but no injuries.
Santiago is one of the safest capitals in Latin America, but Chileans have been shocked by at least 29 bombs that have been planted across the city so far this year. Some have not gone off, and none of the earlier bombs caused any injuries.
Prosecutors say anarchist groups have planted many of the 200 bombs in the past decade.